Underlayment is the layer between your subfloor, and your new floor. It was made to go beneath all types of floors, having many qualities that improves the performance of your floors. These are the benefits of underlayment:
- Sound absorbent, it reduces impact noise such as footsteps, making your floors quieter when walked on.
- It can act as a moisture barrier, protecting your floor from the humidity from the subfloor.
- Provides warmth under your feet and an added cushion for comfort.
- It can possibly help with minor unevenness on the subfloor.
Unless your floor came with an attached underlayment, you will most likely need a separate underlayment. There are three main types of underlayment, rubber, cork, and foam.
- Very sound absorbent
- Most popular choice for hard floors
- Excellent moisture resistance
- Often made from recycled rubber materials making it eco-friendly
- Helps eliminate minor subfloor imperfections
- Prevents growth of bacteria, mold, & mildew
- Cost effective & eco-friendly
- Great at keeping your floors warm
- Not recommended in high moisture areas, but you can add a moisture barrier to fix this issue
- Expands and contracts with your floor
- Versatile, can be used under any floor
- A popular choice for carpet and floating floors
- Protects your floor from moisture, mold, & mildew
- Reduces sound, but not as well as other underlayment